facebook pixel code
Mailto Icon

I Love My Co-op!

Readers share special stories about their electric cooperatives

I Love My Co-op!

“It’s been told that we do encounter angels in disguise. Every month when I pay my electric bill by phone, I encounter my angel in disguise. Her name is Miss Deborah Higgins. No matter how my day, week or month was, when I do have this angel answer on the other end of the phone, my day is like a happy, yellow sunshiny day. She goes above and beyond her duty. Her voice gives me so much peace. I would like to make this special accolade to her and I am grateful that the good Lord has put her in my path.“

- Regine Johnson, Central Rural Electric Cooperative, Inc.


“August 3-4, 2012 were days that people in Creek County will remember for a very long time. On those days, a wildfire, which was started between Mannford and Bristow swept across the county. By the end of the day on August 4, 60,000 acres and 400 homes had been burned. The scene resembled something you might see on the moon.

As the fire was brought under control, one of the first groups to rush in were the line crews from Indian Electric Co-op. There were so many stories told of their generosity and compassion in helping people get their lives back that it’s hard to list them all.

New poles were set, new lines were run and electricity restored to all the families who had lost their homes, all in record time. My wife and I are proud to be members of Indian Electric Co-op!”

- Edd Alexander, Indian Electric Cooperative, Inc.


 

“You asked if I remember when the lights came on? It was a cool day in the fall of 1945. My brother and I had spent the day cleaning out the chicken house and spreading the droppings on the garden. It was a custom at our house that no one ate till my dad was seated and picked up his fork. But dad did not get seated, because there was a knock at the door. When he came back he announced that Canadian Valley would be coming tomorrow to wire the house for electricity. He told us that they would drop a cord in all five rooms, and one each on the front and back porches. We were all smiling and clapping our hands. Then we got to eat. 

I took a long time to fall asleep that night because I kept thinking, no more filling the lamps with kerosene and cleaning the black soot from the lamp globes. We were going to have lights. 

The next afternoon after the workers left we got to go inside to see what it looked like. In the center of each room a big black cord hung about six feet from the floor. There was a socket for a light bulb and on the side of the socket was a place you could plug in an extension cord. My dad sent my mother to Seminole to purchase a lot of 60 watt light bulbs and told her she could also get an electric iron. No more heating the sad irons on the stove. 

When Christmas came that year our Christmas tree had real lights on it. It was so beautiful. On Christmas Eve my dad went to Curry and Hardens in Seminole and came home with a large box. When my mother opened it that night she found an electric washing machine. No more filling the washer with gasoline to make it run. 

When you ask me if I remember when the lights came on, I reply with pleasure, ‘Yes, yes, yes!’ I’m 95 years old and I am still using Canadian Valley Electric Co-op. The lights are still on.”

- Pauline Patterson, Canadian Valley Electric Cooperative, Inc.